I am a content specialist with more than 20 years’ experience helping organisations to make their content work harder.
I help clients to make their print and online content interesting, relevant, consistent and of top quality. Lately ‘findable’ and accessible has been added to the checklist.
For the past 8 years I have been running my own freelance business – helping organisations in Melbourne, Sydney Canberra and everywhere in between. My clients include interactive agencies, small to medium companies, not-for-profits and state and Australia government departments.
I offer a wide range of content services:
- writing, rewriting, editing and production
- business analysis, documentation and reporting
- audits and reviews
- content strategies
- writing and content style guides
- accessibility reviews and reporting
- management and governance process design.
My early experience as a journalist was a great foundation for what was to come. In the late nineties I began working online and realised the new possibilities for content to reach wider audiences of readers who were using different technologies in new ways. It still excites me that if we get content ‘right’ we can help readers to find information, understand it and share it.
Lately I have been busy using my knowledge of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.0) to create compliant online content for the widest possible audience.
- 2006-present – Freelance content specialist
- 2003-2005 Senior website editor – corporate and consumer websites, Tourism Victoria
- 2000-2002 Product manager - www.mycareer.com.au, Fairfax Digital
- 1999-2000 Site producer - www.mycareer.com.au, Fairfax Digital
- 1997-1999 Production journalist, Australian Financial Review online, Fairfax Holdings
- 1991-1995 Production journalist The Sydney Morning Herald, Fairfax Holdings
As a freelance journalist I contributed articles and reviews, travel pieces, profiles, features and cover stories to:
- The Australian Financial Review
- The Sydney Morning Herald
- Artlink, Object, and Art Monthly journals
- Accessible Word and PDF Documents Workshop – Vision Australia, February 2013
- Professional certificate in web accessibility – UniSA, August-September 2012
- Web Accessibility for Writers and Editors – Vision Australia October 2011
- Master of Arts Administration, University of New South Wales 1994 to Jun 1995
- Bachelor of Communications, University of Technology, Sydney 1990 to Dec 1993